UNMET NEEDS IN MULTIPLE MYELOMA
Delays in timely diagnosis of multiple myeloma
Delays in diagnosis of patients with multiple myeloma impact both complications and outcomes1
Complex treatment decision-making in multiple myeloma
The complex myeloma treatment paradigm can impact optimal treatment decision-making2-5
Limited applicability and diversity of clinical trials
Multiple myeloma trials often do not reflect real-world populations, limiting application of results in clinical practice6
Inconsistent holistic management of multiple myeloma
Current care models may not effectively address the broader needs of patients consistently, including psychosocial support and shared decision-making7,8
Across the globe, unmet needs remain from a treatment, care pathway, and patient experience perspective.
To answer this, the Global MM Collaboration Council worked together to identify high-priority unmet needs forming the basis of the Call-to-Action.
Watch the video to find out more.
Meet our experts
Janssen Oncology has brought together experts from across geographies and disciplines to represent the perspectives of multiple audiences in multiple myeloma care.MEET OUR EXPERTS
Download our summary highlighting the most critical unmet needs, as identified by the Collaboration Council, and actionable steps to advance multiple myeloma care for everyone across the globe.DOWNLOAD THE CALL-TO-ACTION
Abbreviations & References
MM, multiple myeloma.
- Kariyawasan CC, Hughes DA, Jayatillake MM, Mehta AB. Multiple myeloma: causes and consequences of delay in diagnosis. QJM. 2007;100(10):635-40.
- Cornell RF, Kassim AA. Evolving paradigms in the treatment of relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma: increased options and increased complexity. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 2016;51(4):479-91.
- Gulla A, Anderson KC. Multiple myeloma: the (r)evolution of current therapy and a glance into future. Haematologica. 2020;105(10):2358-67.
- Goldman-Mazur S, Visram A, Rajkumar SV, Kapoor P, Dispenzieri A, Lacy MQ, et al. Second line treatment strategies in multiple myeloma: a referral-center experience. Blood. 2021;138(Supplement 1):819.
- Hernández-Rivas J, Ríos-Tamayo R, Encinas C, Alonso R, Lahuerta JJ. The changing landscape of relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma (MM): fundamentals and controversies. Biomark Res. 2022;10(1):1.
- Terpos E, Mikhael J, Hajek R, Chari A, Zweegman S, Lee HC, et al. Management of patients with multiple myeloma beyond the clinical-trial setting: understanding the balance between efficacy, safety and tolerability, and quality of life. Blood Cancer J. 2021;11(2):40.
- Quinn B, Ludwig H, Bailey A, Khela K, Marongiu A, Carlson KB, et al. Physical, emotional and social pain communication by patients diagnosed and living with multiple myeloma. Pain Manag. 2022;12(1):59-74.
- Doubova SV, Terreros-Muñoz E, Delgado-Lòpez N, Montaño-Figueroa EH, Infante-Castañeda C, Pérez-Cuevas R. Experiences with health care and health-related quality of life of patients with hematologic malignancies in Mexico. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020;20(1):644.
This Call-to-Action outlines high-priority unmet needs and recommended areas of focus for the global multiple myeloma community, as identified by the Collaboration Council.THE CALL-TO-ACTION